So. What are the social rules for a 3 year time lapse in writing? Do I explain (to myself, since no one else reads this) why I have been so lax? I mean, I think I know why. Something that stands a little over 3 1/2 feet tall and has made it abundantly clear that he runs the show now. Jacob, Jacob Jacob. He's a menace. He's a doll. He's manipulative and selfish, and loving and thoughtful- all at the same time. In short, he's a typical 3 1/2 year old. He's grown so much since my last post. Not much carrying him on my hip these days- after all he is almost 50 pounds of what seems like pure sinewy muscle (particularly if you are asking him to hold still for any reason). He is no doubt, the love of my life, and the bane of my existence. We are very similar, and if I don't repeatedly stop myself, we can easily butt heads and battle. I think he is teaching me how to be a better person, and I hope I am starting him off a little more educated in how to properly display a self righteous burst of outrage...Ummm...I mean, a more socially acceptable way to have a hissy fit...crap. Basically, I hope when he gets angry he doesn't dissolve into fits of frothing spit and bellyfuls of seething, raging fire as I was prone to as a young adult.
We've done a ton of fun things in the past 3 years. I want to do a lot of fun family stuff that I didn't necessarily get to do when I was little. I want him to want to travel and learn about our wonderful country, and see the world as well. He seems his best when we travel, so I don't think I'll have to nudge too hard. He loves to go new places, and I hope we can continue to afford the luxuries of travel we've been fortunate enough to experience so far.
Mike and I are doing better than ever. Having a little baby is stressful, and don't get me wrong, a toddler is no walk in the park, but being well rested for the most part really helps a relationship. He is a tremendous father- I always knew he would be- but as Jacob grows older, it becomes more and more apparent the amazing, wonderful qualities he is going to impart on our child. For now, I'll just ignore the less desirable qualities that may or may not go along with it...this is the first blog back, yeah? I feel like it should be a glowing review ;p
Thats all for now. I clearly can't catch up on the missing years, and I don't really want to. I am trying to be more "present" in the present this year. Lots of ideas that have been floating around in my head that need to take shape. Perhaps writing them down and making space for them will help. The written word is, after all, so much more powerful than those that meander about in time, scratching their meaning only into the backs of your eyeballs instead of going through that whole fancy process of being turned around from upside down in the retinas to rightside up in the brain, but that's just getting crazy, so I'll stop.
No comments:
Post a Comment