Saturday, February 18, 2012

Single Mom Weekend

Dramatic.  I can be, yes.  Hence the title of this post.  Mike is in Vermont this weekend, hopefully getting some good snowmobiling in with his brother.  He hasn't been up much other than Christmas, so when he asked if I minded if he went, it was a no-brainer.  He works very hard almost all the time, and needs time to destress and relax like anyone else!  I used to mind very much when he went away for the weekends.  Mostly, because I wanted somebody here to help me with Jacob.  But also, because I felt a little bit left out and jealous that he got to have weekends on his own and I didn't...or more that he WANTED weekends by himself, and I didn't.  I got my feelings all bent out of shape, and worked myself up into believing that he didn't care as much about us, or me, as I did him.  Did I mention I can be dramatic?

In any case, as Jacob has gotten older, I have become much more accepting of Mike's trips North, and interestingly (to me, anyway) the more accepting I am, the less he seems to go! I really enjoy my weekend with just Jacob now.  We always do something that we probably wouldn't have done if Mike was home, like go out to eat for pizza.  He's very well behaved with just me- he seems to know there is no "options" if you will.  He tends to get away with just a little bit more with Daddy it seems.

Today we played trucks, and puzzles, and built garages and smashed blocks.  A normal day.  I always have dinner on the table on time, and him in bed right at 8 when Mike isn't home.  We are very timely without him, I must admit.  I think Mike has his own schedule in his head, and it rarely includes the actual time, LOL.

I do miss him when he is gone, obviously.  But there is something insanely wonderful about being able to pick out whatever I want to watch on TV.  Last night I stayed up reading Mockingjay (the last book in the Hunger Games trilogy) and sobbed openly, something that would just seem silly to do with Mike sitting next to me.  He comes home tomorrow night sometime (see previous comments on Mike's schedule), and it will be great to have him back...but I will miss hogging the whole bed!

..................................................................................................................................................................

Funny Jacob story- the other night he is "sleeping".  I am in the kitchen cleaning up and hear him make some noise.  It keeps up, and I go to his room to tell him to settle down. "Quiet time, Jacob" I announce as I peek through his door.  "But Mommy, I just sneezed".  me-"Okay Jacob, get some rest"  him-"But no-one was here to say Bless You!"  (me stifling a giggle)- "Okay Bud, bless you.  Good Night, I love you"  him- sighs loudly "Ok, thank you.  Goodnight Mommy".



3 comments:

Rhody Momma said...

I loved this! Pretty much all of this is true in our house as well! It's bittersweet when the hubby's leave!

P.S. Jacob is too cute and I MISS YOU GUYS!!!

Musings of a Momma said...

We miss you too! I cannot believe Wyatt is wearing deodorant!!! LOL.

Inshockmom: A life of Revelation, Revolution and Reproduction said...

I'm not really at the Jason being gone for a weekend to destress yet...LOL, maybe when Levi is older, although he is going away for a weekend in March. I will try and fill that weekend up with as MUCH as possible. LOL. I'm so glad you had a great weekend though!!