Three weeks ago, I had NO idea what Pinterest was. I saw some activity on Facebook regarding it, but when I visited it, I just didn't get it. Well...I did a little research, and now I am totally hooked. It's a wonderful tool. You can collect recipes, get clothing inspiration, craft ideas, create travel lists- the possibilities seem endless. In the last 2 weeks since figuring Pinterest out, I have made my own laundry soap, all purpose cleaner, and done a craft with Jacob. It doesn't seem like much, but in the past, I'd see something online, and think, oh, thats cool...And then Pffft! Away it would go. Now I can collect the ideas and reference them so easily! I love it.
My mother got her externship at a place in Framingham, so hopefully tensions will ease on the homefront. It is obviously not a paying job, but at least it's moving forward. She went to get a tooth pulled the other day and couldn't have it done, because her blood pressure was too high. Long story short, she decides the dentist is an idiot, and makes an appointment with her GP. (can you see where this is going?) Shockingly, today her GP tells her, yes, it is true, you have high blood pressure. She tells me she needs to monitor it at home, and that they are putting her on some medications.
I am a scientist in my heart. I love medicine. I love germs, and body processes, and all things related. But, this medication craze is out of control. I am not saying we don't need blood pressure medication. It's wonderful that we have it. It saves lives. But this doctor didn't even MENTION diet change, or exercise, or QUITTING SMOKING (hello!!!) to my mom before throwing a pack of pills her way. I know this, because I asked. My mom got all defensive and said she eats way better "than she used to"...which is a completely irrelevant argument. I'm sure the doctor was getting vibes from my mom that made it quite clear my mom wasn't going to listen to whatever the doctor said, but as a doctor, you need to say it anyways. Enough is enough about hurting peoples feelings, or offending them. I swear I have Jack Nicholson screaming "You can't handle the truth!!!" in my head every day. Well, he's screaming it in my head, for me, at other people. I see it in the veterinary world even. People can't handle the suggestion that feeding Fido every scrap from the dinner table in addition to his unmeasured bowl full of food is actually harmful. People can't handle any suggestions anymore, it feels like.
I'll get off my high horse now. Mike and I are headed out this weekend for my work winter party, and then out to a local yocal spot for possibly some dancing, and definitely some drinks. It should be a good time :) Tomorrow I will recount Jacob's sweet "monkey butt" story!
No comments:
Post a Comment