I've turned off the TV and Jacob is tucked in his bed. The little lights on the tree are gleaming like they belong in a jewelery store. I can hear the trickle of the cats water fountain, and the stomping of my husbands size 13 feet on the roof above. He's out shoveling off the roof on the front of the house. The pitch is almost negligible, and the shingles are even more so...so without shoveling, lots of leaks due to ice dams.
Or so he says. I am totally mechanically, architecturally, and any other "ally" DIS-inclined. I only like to know how living things work- not inanimate objects. My husband can fix anything. He knows how things work. If you watch Heroes- he's Sylar- only with objects. He dismantles anything he doesn't understand, and learns it. It's fascinating and completely annoying and exhausting all at once.
My friends sometimes refer to him as MacGyver. If he doesn't have tools to fix something with- he makes tools. Anytime somebody needs help- they call Mike....When we first met, I thought it was his most endearing quality. After a while, it drove me insane. Now, I respect and admire it again. I understand why he is the way he is, and why he does the things he does.
Over the past 10 years of being together, our love has had many ups and downs. We met when we were 19, and began dating when I was turning 21. He had 3 girlfriends before me...I had just dumped my first "real" boyfriend of 2 weeks so I could date Mike. We had so much learning before us, but we thought we knew it all.
I'm glad I can say that after all we have been through, I am so deeply committed to him. I love him fully and confidently. I know him so well, and likewise him for me. It could be boring- and maybe sometimes it is- but in the end we are so right for each other. He cares for me, spoils me, lets me loose when need be, reins me in when I need it...I make him laugh, I support his choices, I remind him to look at the other perspective...
So many times, we could have thrown in the towel like so many other Americans do nowadays. But we kept at it, and now have been blessed with a deeper love than most will ever know. We have a beautiful baby we both are insanely in love with, a cozy house that was rebuilt by my husbands hands and 7 acres out back to play on when time allows.
Today while out shopping- Jacob is murmuring himself to sleep in the car. I smile, and say to Mike-
Me- " I was thinking the other day..."
Mike- "yeah?"
Me- "I was thinking, you know how when Jacob smiles at us, or lets us hear that belly laugh he has... "
Mike- "yeah?"
Me- "well, you know how we get all over emotional and get a little tear in our eye?"
Mike- "yeah?"
Me- "what on earth are we going to do when he says Momma or Dadda the first time?"
Mike- pause...gulp..." Well, I guess I'm going to have even more tears in my eye than I do right now"
Me- "I know..."
We reached over and squeezed each others hand. We avoided eye contact, so that seeing each others tears wouldn't send us into a delve of silly sniffles and red eyes.
I wrote the title of this blog with the blog itself in mind.
But now I realize, it applies to my husband even more so. Hopelessly addicted.
Me and Mike in Spain- on top of the world. Our last vacation before Jacob's cycle.
No comments:
Post a Comment