Sunday, March 04, 2012

The Grind

Next weekend is my first 5k of the year.  I was hoping for a PR (personal record) but the last couple days I've been hobbling around pretty bad.  After much internet research, I have come up with a self diagnosis.  Piriformis Syndrome.  It basically affects my deep gluteus muscles (butt) and runs down my hamstring, and even zings around to the front of my groin.  It doesn't feel great.  It has to do with having tight hip adductors/or abductors, I can't remember.  I picked up some resistance bands at Target today to start some hip strengthening, and will religiously be stretching my piriformis muscle and IT band (which connects to the knee) all week in hopes that by next Sunday I can do more than hobble.  We'll see what happens.  My Dad is coming down to run it with me, and I was hoping to beat him for the first time, but it's not looking good.

Anyways.  On another fitness note, Becky and I are starting an 8 week boxing class on Tuesday.  She awesomely signed me up for the class, and then informed me when to show up :)  I am super excited as the woman who runs the gym has nothing but good reviews and lots of success stories.  I'm hoping this bounces me up to the next level of a healthy lifestyle.  I started taking a strange homeopathic remedy- it's Apple Cider Vinegar (with "THE MOTHER") which is supposed to help with insulin regulation and PCOS issues.  Actually, if you google it, or even just read Amazon reviews, the stuff helps everything.  It was 3 bucks in the health section at Shaws, and I actually like the taste of  it in my water, so I figure I'll try it for a month or two, and see what happens. I also bought some coconut oil, which is loaded in Medium Chain Triglycerides and supposed to be very helpful all around as well too.  It tastes pretty delicious on popcorn!

We had our first snowstorm of the season since October 31st, 2011 a few days ago.  Jacob and I got some sledding in, and Mike finished fixing Jacob's little snowmobile.  He drove around the yard really well.  We don't currently have a helmet that really fits him, so I was fretting, but Mike set the governor relatively low- so it didn't really go much faster than his yard tractor. It's crazy to see him driving around- he is getting to be such a big boy. We painted his room last weekend- no more "baby" yellow- just Big Boy blue now.

My mom's truck broke down, so Mike has been busy fixing that.  Pretty sure they had some sort of yelling argument today, but as usual I ignored it.  I can't get into it.  Not nice things will come out of my mouth. I'll leave it at that for now as Mike has finally come in from outside and I want some snuggle time.  Here are some pictures!

Riding the Kitty Cat
His new room color

Still has to have his dump truck outside!


1 comment:

Inshockmom: A life of Revelation, Revolution and Reproduction said...

Oh my GOSH!!! Jacoblooks adorable on that little snow mobile. I'm sorry about your hip. I'm being sent to pyhsical therapy for something very similiar. It's painful. And sorry about the mom situation. Hang in there! Oh and I'll see you in 5 months!! YAY!!