Monday, March 09, 2009

Catching Up- Part 1

I am WAAAAYYYY behind!! I can't say I've been busy pursuing anything more meaningful than blogging- I've just been lazy!

When I left last, we were getting ready for our first family vacation to visit Mike's sister in Florida. I'll recap the trip in an effort to restart my blogging blood.

The flight was fantastic. We flew through a company that currently charters Virgin Air planes, out of an airport 5 minutes from our house with ONE terminal and 3 gates!!!
We landed at an airport that only had one gate. It was fantastic. No lines, no fuss, but a big plane with leather seats and plasma tv's for everyone. The flight was only 75 percent full, so we were able to get a row to ourselves and have the extra room for Jacob.





He was a perfect little angel. Clearly, 6 months is an ideal time for travel!! He was excited to see all the new things, and under the advice of may other more seasoned child travelers, I brought a few new toys for him to play with.

Florida itself...well...let me just preface this with the fact that Mike and I knew it was going to be like this. We knew it. I had been watching the weather for weeks. Gorgeous, warm, sunny...I knew it had to change. Sure enough, Florida reached record lows while we were there. Granted, their record low of 33 was better than the 2 degrees we were having back home, but still...
In any event, it was a great visit, and we were determined to make the best of it. As you can see, it was a bit chilly the first morning we were there, but I plunked him in a chair and told him to buck up bucko! LOL :) I think he was just happy to be outside and not look at snow.


We got a few days that were warm enough for shorts- the picture on the left is priceless. He wasn't filling his pants- I'm not really sure what he was doing, but he definitely made me laugh.

The picture on the right is an outfit I got at his baby shower. It's almost like someone knew I'd need a shorts set in mid January.....



We did make it to the beach once, and it was breathtakingly beautiful...unfortunately, it was only 60 degrees!! He rode with his Dad and Uncle in one car, and I rode with Mike's sister and her 3 children in another car. Like a good mom, I had lathered Jacob up with sunscreen before strapping him into his car seat, and off we went. We followed Mike and Jacob's car, and I kept seeing Mike turn back to talk to Jacob, and look at him. Apparently, at some point while trying to fall asleep in the carseat, Jacob rubbed his eyes and I must have got some sunscreen on his hands. The poor little guy screamed all the way to the beach until he exhausted himself to sleep, and when I took him out of the car, his eye was bloodshot red. I promptly settled into the tent we brought, and fretted over the future of his cornea for the next 2 hours or so...He was cranky but we managed to get in some photos, and his eye was fine later that night.
















You can see his red eye in the above picture, poor little man!!!

All in all, it was a great experience. We learned that we can travel with Jacob, and hopefully it will make us more likely to continue to do so. I know the next trip we take may not be as smooth sailing, but I can hope!!!!

No comments: